Tourism - NCEA Level 3
Teacher in Charge: Mr B. Deane
Do you want a career than can take you around New Zealand and overseas? Level 3 Tourism focuses on our nearest neighbours, Australia and the Pacific Islands, which are major destinations for New Zealand travellers. You will gain an understanding of the tourist attractions and events that encourage people to travel to these places. The course also focuses on why tourists come to New Zealand; to see our spectacular scenery, to experience our thrilling adventure tourism and to understand the uniqueness of Maaori culture. As well as learning about New Zealand's tourist attractions, Level 3 Tourism aims to develop your knowledge about the Waikato by learning about the stories and the significance of places like Pirongia, Taupiri, Kawhia and Rangiriri to our local iwi Tainui. The course builds on the knowledge gained in Tourism 7 and offers Unit Standards towards the National Certificate in Tourism (Level 3) which will help you to gain entry into training for a career in this exciting and varied career pathway.
This term will are learning to:
- Identify and describe the geographical locations of Australia and locate key destinations on a map; identify and describe attractions, activities and events in Australia;
- Identify and describe air transport and related services available to tourists travelling to and within Australia; identify and describe ground product and related services available to tourists in Australia
- Identify travel products which can be pre-purchased in New Zealand, and their suppliers
- Provide travel information for visitors to Australia.
This term we are learning to
- Identify and explain the cultural significance of natural attractions and man-made attractions in tourism Maaori.
- Identify and explain the cultural significance of man-made attractions in Tourism in Maaori.
This term we will be learning to:
- Identify suppliers used by the New Zealand travel industry to book travel products in Pacific Island countries
- Present information to customers about air transport and ground products, and related services available to visitors travelling to, from, and within Pacific Island counties.
Recommended Prior Learning
Passed Level 2 Tourism or at the discretion of the HOD.
Total Credits Available: 16 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 16 credits.
Term: 4, Week: 4
Term: 1, Week: 11
Term: 3, Week: 5