Horticulture - NCEA Level 3
Teacher in Charge: Mrs K. Brownlee
This course continues to build students Horticultural knowledge from Level 1 and Level 2 Horticulture in following areas:
The aims of this course are
• To develop an appreciation of New Zealand’s native plants and animals
• To re-vegetate certain areas
• To learn how to propagate native plants
The main topics covered in this course are:
• Propagation and naming of native plants
• Planting of trees and shrubs
• Weed identification and control
• Rural pest animals and their control
This course leads into different horticultural fields such as Amenity, Arboriculture, Landscape design and Landscape construction at tertiary level. This course will also gives students a good level of horticultural knowledge and skills so they can go into employment.
Depending on cohort requirements, appropriate standards will be chosen at start of year
Recommended Prior Learning
HOR7 recommended, do not necessarily need to have passed NCEA Level 2. Get HOD approval
Total Credits Available: 31 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 31 credits.
Term: 1, Week: 11