Business Studies - NCEA Level 2
Teacher in Charge: Mr S. Bathan
“Entrepreneurship is about turning what excites you in life into capital, so you can do more of it and move forward with it” (Richard Branson)
This course aims to provide you with opportunities to engage in a meaningful way with the world around you. You will be learning in an authentic and connected way. It will give students a sound understanding into the world of commerce as well as a practical application of business and entrepreneurial concepts.
'Tē tōia, tē haumatia.'
Nothing can be achieved without a plan, workforce and a way of doing things.
Throughout Term 1 you will work in a team to plan, carry out, review and refine a community based business activity with a community well-being focus. You will be required as a team to come up with a business idea, complete a Lean Canvas and the validate (test) your product either by taken a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) to market early or by taking a prototype to your target market to test and get feedback on your product/service idea. You will use feedback from this validation to improve your business idea.
During this term you are required to get your business idea off the ground. This will mean that you carry out market research for your team’s product/service idea. You are then expected to present, analyse and draw conclusions from your research. As a group you will:
• Collect relevant secondary research
• Identify the aim of the research plan
• Design your primary research
• Collect and record sufficient primary market research relevant to your team’s aim
• Present the results using suitable charts and/or tables
• Draw a conclusion
• Identify the strengths and weaknesses of your market research
Throughout Terms 2 and 3 you will continue to work in your team to plan, carry out, review and refine a community based business activity with a community well-being focus. Moving forward, you will, towards the end of term 2 and in term 3 complete ongoing business cycles.
There are nine tasks to be completed by the end of Term 3:
• Come up with a product idea and develop a lean canvas
• Validate your product idea either by taking an MVP to market or by taking a prototype to your target market
• Prepare a planning portfolio for your business activity
• Carry out the first cycle of the business activity
• Reflect on how well the business activity was performed
• Refine the planning portfolio to improve your planned business activity
• Carry out the second cycle of the business activity
• Reflect on how well the second business activity was performed
• Refine the planning portfolio for the future
Throughout this term you will continue to be gathering evidence about your ability to communicate within your business team whilst working towards your business objective. The emphasis is on your individual ability to communicate effectively within your team. This involves you communicating ideas, opinions, asking questions, responding to questions and ability to listen and being respectful of others. Evidence may include team meetings, oral reports, written communication between team members related to your objective and photos/video recordings of your performance.
This term will be your opportunity to reflect on your business project for the year. For those seeking subject endorsement you will also be working on the External exam for AS 90844.
Recommended Prior Learning
Curriculum Level 5-6 in English and Mathematics
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
Total Credits Available: 19 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 15 credits.
Term: 3, Week: 10
Further assessment opportunities will not be offered for this standard inline with NZQA guidelines
Term: 1, Week: 10
Term: 3, Week: 6
Security Officer/Guard, Project Manager, Building Contractor, Cabinet Maker, Cafe/Restaurant Manager, Intelligence Officer, Management Consultant, Chef, Data Analyst, Emergency Management Officer, Trainer, Industrial Designer, Storeperson, Sales Representative, Accountant, Agricultural/Horticultural Consultant, Business Analyst, Importer/Exporter, Courier/Delivery Agent, Debt Collector,